OAR’s Annual Toy Drive will kick off on Monday, October 8, 2018!
Every October to December, OAR hosts a Toy Drive to collect new, donated toys and gifts for children of incarcerated parents, ages newborn to 18 years, as a part of OAR’s Project Christmas Angel Program in December (more info on this event will be released in November). OAR does this in an effort to bridge the gap between those involved in the criminal justice system and their children, as these relationships are often strained and challenged during and after incarceration.
Who is eligible?
Parents in the Arlington County Detention Facility, as well as parents who have been recently released, are on probation, are staying at Guest House, or are active in OAR’s programs may be eligible to send gifts to their children in this program. The parent wishing to send gifts to their child must be referred to the program. If you are a parent who is interested in learning if you are eligible, please contact email@example.com.
What kinds of toys can be donated?
Donated toys and gifts should be new and unwrapped and appropriate for children ages newborn to 18. OAR does not accept donations of clothing or stuffed animals. We especially need gifts for teens, as most of the children eligible to receive gifts are between the ages of 12 and 18. We also accept gift cards to Target and Amazon in denominations of $20-$25!
How/Where can you donate?
There are several ways to help:
- Host a donation box! We are currently looking for businesses, organizations, and faith communities in the area to host donation boxes for the Toy Drive! Please contact Heather Pritchett at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in hosting a donation box on behalf of OAR!
- Purchase gifts for children via OAR’s Amazon wish list and have the items shipped directly to OAR’s office. Please include your name and contact info so we know who the donations are from.
- We especially need gift cards for teens. Denominations of $20-$25 to places like Target and Amazon are most needed!
- Purchase gifts and drop them off at OAR’s office during business hours (1400 N. Uhle St, Suite 704, Arlington, VA 22201; Monday through Friday 8:30am – 12:00pm and 1:00pm – 5:00pm).
- Donate via OAR’s website to help fund the project. Your donations will go towards purchasing items such as wrapping supplies and postage to mail gifts to children that live outside of the DC area. Be sure to specify on the “Message or Comments” line that you’d like your donation to go towards Project Christmas Angel!
- Volunteer as a driver to help OAR pick up donated items from sites around Arlington and the D.C. metro area. To volunteer, please contact email@example.com.
- Donate gifts at any one of our toy donation box locations set up at businesses, faith communities, and civic organizations throughout the community! Please remember to check the business hours of all locations to make sure you are able to drop off donations when they are open! Locations of all the donation boxes are below:
American Chemical Society, 1155 16th St NW, Washington, DCCOLLECTED! Arlington Community Federal Credit Union (ACFCU)COLLECTED! Ballston Branch, 4121 Wilson Blvd, Arlington, VA Columbia Pike Branch, 5666 Columbia Pike, Falls Church, VA Glebe Branch, 2130 N. Glebe Rd, Arlington, VA
Arlington County Sheriff’s Office, 1425 N. Courthouse Rd #9100, Arlington, VACOLLECTED! Ashleigh Diserio Consulting, 5501 Seminary Rd, Suite 704S, Falls Church, VACOLLECTED! Christ Church of Arlington, 3020 N Pershing Dr, Arlington, VA 22201COLLECTED! Eagle Bank, 4420 N. Fairfax Dr, Arlington, VACOLLECTED! Eagle Hill Consulting, 241 18th Street S, Suite 615, Arlington, VACOLLECTED! Faith Lutheran Church, 3313 Arlington Blvd, Arlington, VACOLLECTED! Greenbrier Baptist Church, 5401 7th Rd S, Arlington, VA 22204COLLECTED! Madison Community Center, 3829 N. Stafford St,COLLECTED! Resurrection Evangelical Lutheran Church, 6201 Washington Blvd, Arlington, VACOLLECTED! Robcyn’s, 3660 King St, Alexandria, VA 22302COLLECTED! Walter Reed Community Center, 2909 16th St S, Arlington, VACOLLECTED! Worden Tech Solutions, 2011 Crystal Dr, Suite 400, Arlington, VACOLLECTED! Woman’s Club of Arlington, 700 S. Buchanan St, Arlington, VACOLLECTED!
Stay on the lookout for more information about ways in which to get involved with OAR’s Project Christmas Angel in December! The event will be held Wednesday, December 12, 2018 from 6:30 to 9:30pm in Arlington. RSVP information will be posted to OAR’s website in November.
If you have any questions, please contact Heather Pritchett, Director of Development and Outreach, at 703-228-7435 or firstname.lastname@example.org.