There are a variety of ways for you to contribute to OAR:
2. Mail a check payable to OAR (Please send all mailed donations to P.O. Box 41030, Arlington, VA 22204)
3. Drop off a donation during regular business hours
4. Designate OAR on your Combined Federal Campaign (#26226) or United Way (#8078)
5. Get your company/employer to match your gift and double the donation to OAR.
6. Bequests and Planned Gifts:
Giving to OAR can be done either directly or through a gift model that can provide you with tax benefits. Talk with your lawyer about various gift models that you might consider.
Should you wish to include OAR in your will, the following language may assist you and your attorney in preparing your bequest to OAR:
“I, [name], of [city, state, ZIP], give, devise and bequeath ____ (a specific dollar amount, percentage of the residue of your estate, or a specific asset such as a bank account, stock, or real estate) to Offender Aid and Restoration of Arlington, Inc. (OAR), located at 1400 N. Uhle Street, Suite 704, Arlington, VA 22201 for its general purposes or as the Board of Directors may direct.”
7. OAR welcomes the following in-kind donations for our ongoing needs:
- $15 SmarTrip® cards (metro & bus)
- $20 Target gift cards
- Standard copy paper
- #2 pencils
- Composition notebooks
- Whiteboard dry erase markers, erasers, and cleaners
8. We also have a “Wish List” on Amazon.com with items we need for participants. The link is https://amzn.to/3NCrGbu.
9. We partnered with The Referral Project, a free national real estate referral service, as one way you and your broad social network can support us. The Referral Project refers real estate agents to buyers and sellers anywhere in the country. If the buyer/seller selects OAR, The Referral Project will donate 50% of their share of the commission earnings to us. It is a simple and unique way to help OAR! The link is http://www.thereferralproject.com/oar.
You make our mission possible and we strive to put your donation to good work each and every day.
OAR is able to fulfill its mission because of the generous support received by you — organizations and individual donors in communities throughout Northern Virginia and the country. One reason you and other individuals continue to support OAR is because it makes fiscal sense for the community. For example, it can cost $25,000 or more to house just one person in jail for a year.
Considering that jails house hundreds of inmates each year, many of whom are repeat offenders, the cost to taxpayers is immense. By providing counseling and mentoring programs inside and outside of jails; promoting education programs and job training; and giving individuals the tools and resources they need to find gainful employment, your donation to OAR helps communities curtail the financial burden that recidivism creates.
OAR needs your continued support to help make your community a healthier and safer place to live. We would like you to become a part of the OAR movement and consider making a donation today. All of your donations are tax deductible. Below are just a few ways your contribution directly benefits an OAR participant:
- $10 = A meal for someone who has just been released from jail
- $20 = Provide transportation to job interviews for one participant for one week
- $25 = A gift card for a holiday present for a child who has a parent in jail
- $35 = Provide emergency clothing and food to one participant upon their release from jail
- $50 = Pay for a participant’s birth certificate and identification documents required to get a job
- $75 = Case management services for participants to develop skills for maintaining employment
- $100 = Provide pro-social activities for participants recently released from incarceration (such as movie tickets, a meal, sports games, etc.)
- $250 = Provide postage fees to mail holiday gifts to 30 children of incarcerated parents
- $500 = Underwrite one month of emergency services costs for one participant
- $1,000 = Provide security deposit for a participant to move out of a shelter and into an apartment
- $2,500 = Underwrite the program cost for one Intensive Reentry Program participant
- $3,500 = Underwrite OAR’s programs for one day
- $5,000 = Underwrite Project Christmas Angel, where 1,000 gifts will be wrapped for over 350 children of incarcerated parents
- $10,000 = Underwrite the cost of a participant’s residential addiction treatment and care
- $25,000 = Underwrite the cost of working side by side with participants at Community Service events
Donation FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
- Why should I donate to OAR?
- OAR, founded in 1974, supports men and women returning to the community after incarceration and offers alternative sentencing options to youth and adults through community service. OAR’s programs make our community safer and stronger. OAR has a Platinum level seal on Guidestar.com, indicating the highest level of transparency and integrity. OAR has also been named as “One of the Best” nonprofit organizations in the DC area by the Catalogue for Philanthropy. By supporting OAR, you are supporting second and fair chances for all.
- How will my donation be used by OAR?
- Visit the “Make a Donation” page on our website to learn how your gift may be used by OAR.
- To whom should I make my check payable?
- Checks should be made payable to OAR.
- What is the address to mail my donation?
- OAR, 1400 N. Uhle St, Suite #704, Arlington, VA 22201
- How do I make a donation in honor or memory of someone?
- Using our online donation form, you can dedicate a gift in honor or memory of someone. In the “Message or Comments” section, simply mention that your donation is in honor or memory of (name) and any other additional information you would like to include. If you’d like to dedicate a donation by mail using a check or credit card, include a note with your check and mail your check to: OAR, 1400 N. Uhle St, Suite #704, Arlington, VA 22201.
- Is the family notified of my donation?
- Yes, the person (or the family of the person) you made the contribution in memory or honor of will be sent a letter from OAR to let them know that you made a donation in memory/honor of them. The letter will not indicate the amount of your gift. Please share the person’s mailing address with us so we may notify them of your gift.
- How can I set up a planned gift or bequest?
- We would love to talk with you more about this opportunity. Please contact email@example.com or 703-228-7441 to discuss.
- Can I make monthly, automatic donations to OAR?
- Yes, you can pledge to give a specific monthly donation by credit card in any amount you are comfortable with. To set up a monthly gift, use our online form and choose “monthly” as the frequency option for your donation amount.
- If I make a monthly donation, when will my credit card be charged?
- Your credit card will be charged on the date that you submit the donation online. If you want the donations to begin on a different date, you can change the “Start Date” on the online donation form. Your card will then be charged the same day of the month each month moving forward.
- Will I receive verification of my donations for tax purposes?
- Yes, whether you donate once or on a monthly basis, you will receive a letter from OAR as a tax receipt for your gift. Additionally, at the start of each calendar year, we will mail you a letter listing your total donations for the prior calendar year.
- Once I’ve made an online gift, how can I make changes to my account, i.e. change amount, change my credit card number?
- If you wish to make any changes to your account at any time, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-228-7441. All sensitive information will be kept confidential. Unfortunately, at this time there is no way for you to update the information yourself online.
- What if I need to stop giving? Can I stop whenever I want?
- You can stop your recurring gifts at any point. Please contact email@example.com or 703-228-7441. Your cancellation would take place the same month, or the following month, depending upon when we receive your notice.
- Can I help collect funds for OAR?
- Yes, there are many ways you can support OAR, such as hosting a donation drive to collect gift cards, Metro fare cards, backpacks and bags, office supplies, toiletries, and more. If interested in conducting a collection like this, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or 703-228-7441 to find out OAR’s greatest needs at the time.
- Is OAR a tax-exempt organization?
- Yes, OAR is a community-based, 501 C (3) nonprofit organization and is tax-exempt.
- Is my donation tax deductible?
- Yes, all donations to OAR are tax deductible, including in-kind (non-cash) donations.
- What is OAR’s tax ID number?
OAR is a tax-exempt organization under section 501(c) (3) of the Internal Revenue Code. OAR’s Federal tax identification number is 54-1024562.