OAR’s Annual Toy Drive
Every October to December, OAR hosts a Toy Drive to collect new, donated gifts for children, ages newborn to 18, who have a parent incarcerated locally as a part of OAR’s Project Winter Cheer program (formerly known as Project Christmas Angel) in December (more information on this event will be released in November). OAR does this in an effort to bridge the gap between individuals experiencing incarceration and their children, as these relationships are often strained and challenged during and after incarceration. The Annual Toy Drive will kick-off on Monday, October 7, 2019 and end in early December.
Who is eligible?
Parents in the Arlington County Detention Facility (ACDF) as well as parents who have been recently released, are on probation, are staying at Guest House, or are active in OAR’s programs may be eligible to send gifts to their children through this program. The parent wishing to send gifts to their child must be referred to the program. If you are a parent who is interested in learning if you are eligible, please contact Stephannie Ku, OAR’s Director of Events and Communications, at email@example.com.
What items can be donated?
We are only accepting donations of new and unwrapped age-appropriate toys and gifts for children ages newborn to 18. OAR does not accept donations of clothing or stuffed animals. We especially need gifts for teens such as gift cards. Gift cards to places like Target and Amazon in denominations of $20-$25 are most helpful!
How/Where can you donate?
There are several ways to donate:
- Purchase gifts for children via OAR’s Project Winter Cheer Amazon Wish List! Send donations of gifts straight to the OAR office via our Project Winter Cheer Amazon Wish List. Please include your name and contact information so we know who the donations are from.
- Purchase gifts and drop them off at the OAR office! Stop by and drop off donations of gifts at the OAR office located at 1400 N. Uhle St, Suite 704, Arlington, VA 22201, anytime during our business hours: Monday through Friday 8:30am – 12:00pm and 1:00pm – 5:00pm.
- Make a financial contribution! You can make a financial contribution to help fund the project here on our website. Your financial gift will go towards purchasing items such as wrapping supplies and postage to mail gifts to children that live outside of the local delivery area. Be sure to specify in the “Comments” section that you would like your donation to go towards OAR’s Toy Drive/Project Winter Cheer!
- Donate gifts at any one of our donation box sites in the community! We have partnered with various businesses, civic organizations, faith communities, and more throughout the community to host a donation box on OAR’s behalf. Please remember to check the business hours of all locations to make sure you are able to drop off donations when they are open. See below for all of the locations of the donation sites in the community.
What are other ways to support the Toy Drive and Project Winter Cheer?
- Host a donation box! If you are a business, organization, or faith community in the area and you are interested in helping OAR collect donations by hosting a donation box, please contact Stephannie Ku at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Volunteer! Volunteer as a driver to help OAR pick up donated items from sites around Arlington and the D.C. metro area. If you are interested in any volunteer opportunities related to OAR’s Toy Drive and Project Winter Cheer, contact Stephannie Ku at email@example.com.
- Attend the Project Winter Cheer Wrapping Party event! OAR will host the Project Winter Cheer Wrapping Party event in December. Volunteers will gather to help wrap and package gifts to send to children who have a parent incarcerated locally or is involved in OAR’s programs. RSVP is required for this event. Click here to RSVP.
OAR’s Toy Drive Donation Sites
Special thanks to all of these businesses, organizations, and communities for hosting a donation box on behalf of OAR! If you are going to drop off donations at any of our donation sites, please check their business hours before-hand so you don’t go when the site is closed!
- Arlington Community Federal Credit Union Ballston Branch
- 4121 Wilson Blvd, Arlington, VA
- Arlington Community Federal Credit Union Columbia Pike Branch
- 5666 Columbia Pike, Falls Church, VA
- Arlington Community Federal Credit Union Glebe Branch
- 2130 N. Glebe Rd, Arlington, VA
- Arlington County Sheriff’s Office
- 1425 N Courthouse Rd, #9100, Arlington, VA
- Arlington Central Library
- 1015 N Quincy St, Arlington, VA
- Bethel United Church of Christ
- 300 N. Montague St, Arlington, VA
- Bishop Payne Library
- 3737 Seminary Rd, Alexandria, VA
- Bonds Team Building and Escape Room
- Columbia Pike Library
- 816 S. Walter Reed Dr, Arlington, VA
- Eagle Bank (Ballston)
- 4420 Fairfax Dr, Arlington, VA
- Eagle Hill Consulting
- 241 18th St S, Suite 615, Arlington, VA 22202
- Faith Lutheran Church
- 3313 Arlington Blvd, Arlington, VA
- Greenbriar Baptist Church
- 5401 7th Rd S, Arlington, VA
- Madison Community Center
- 3829 N Stafford St, Arlington, VA
- Presto Valet
- 1623 N. Quaker Ln, Alexandria, VA
- Resurrection Evangelical Lutheran Church
- 6201 Washington Blvd, Arlington, VA
- Shirlington Library
- 4200 Campbell Ave, Arlington, VA
- Woman’s Club of Arlington
- 700 S Buchanan St, Arlington, VA
If you have any questions, please contact Stephannie Ku, OAR’s Director of Events and Communications at 703-228-7132 or firstname.lastname@example.org.