How to Support OAR’s Project Winter Cheer 2020
If you have not already read our update on OAR’s Project Winter Cheer program, please click here to learn more.
About Project Winter Cheer:
OAR’s Project Winter Cheer program supports children and families impacted by incarceration for the holiday season. It is so important to us that family relationships are maintained while a parent is incarcerated and after their release, and that no child is forgotten during the holidays. We ask that you – members and organizations of the community – also keep these children in mind as the holiday season approaches and get involved in supporting this amazing program! Each child participating in this program will receive a gift card (estimated amount $50) along with a handwritten letter from their parent (that has been kept safely for 2 weeks prior to sending out) to remind them that even though they are not able to physically spend the holidays together, they are always keeping them in mind.
“Thank y’all so much to help my kids in a time of need like this. This is such a great help to my kids and a little pressure off my loved one’s back who needs help while I am in a place like this getting my self in order.”
-A letter from a parent incarcerated in the Arlington County Detention Facility on what Project Winter Cheer means to them and their family.
How to Support:
- Donate to the “Bring a Neighbor Holiday Joy” fundraiser online on the Volunteer Arlington Website here. Donations will be collected for this fundraiser until Friday, November 30, 2020.
- Donate gift cards (ex. VISA, Target, Amazon, Walmart) in denominations of $25, $50, or $100 and mail them to the OAR office (1400 N. Uhle Street, Suite 704, Arlington, VA 22201).
- Donate on the OAR website specifically to our children and family programs (Project Backpack/Project Winter Cheer) online here. We will have this donation form up year-round and for anyone who would like to donate after the “Bring a Neighbor Holiday Joy” fundraiser has concluded.
- Volunteer to help with guardian outreach, data entry, and purchasing and mailing gift cards on behalf of OAR. Please email Stephannie Ku at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are interested in volunteering for any Project Winter Cheer related opportunities.
- Help spread the word! Please help us share our social media posts about Project Winter Cheer, post on your own social media, send your friends and family the fundraiser link, etc.
Questions? Contact Stephannie Ku at email@example.com or call 703-228-7132